Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Black Box

These are the images from the slide I chose from the Black Box slide show as I am very interested in the shadows these shapes have created.


These images are from slide 50/81 (from Lecture_07_TheBlackBox_2010.pdf) in the section called Shadow as a Refuge, which is Erika Kruger's Project 3 of The Black Box slide show.


I made this animation in Sketchup to see for myself what kinds of shadows would be possible when limited to 90 degree angles and only 9 boxes. This was the most interesting shadow sequence I found.
I am very interested in the way shadows are cast from my model, and the differences in these shadows at different times of the day. I also tested what the shadows looked like at different times of the year, and this was interesting as the shadows changed shape slightly and changed length. The shadows my object is casting obviously are not as interesting as the ones cast by the objects in the images above as I can only work with 9 boxes. It is also interesting the way the shadows in the Black Box images were cast when there were 2 different surfaces (eg. wall and floor) and I will try to get this affect by changing the height and shape of the ground plane in Sandbox when I export my Sketchup model.

No comments:

Post a Comment